Saturday, June 08, 2024

Straw Bale Garden Update June 8th, 2024

Our garden this year is being grown up the sides of an arch tunnel extending from my back patio out toward the treeline. We have five bales each along the inside of the arch, four on the outer left side, and two on the outer right. There is also a garden container against the house full of wee Little Birdy Yellow Canary tomato plants and some fennel, a hill where Little Pie is growing pumpkins (Jack-O'-Lanters), and  small buckets that are growing Yukon Gold (new) potatoes. I say 'new' because we tend to harvest them little and use them in soups. We have the usual chives and strawberries, as well. 
 
Little Giraffe's Jack O' Lanterns
Hubs went through the garden today with me and we adjusted the names of tomato plants so I can *finally* make my list for the year. We have been updating it all along since it was planted last month. Unfortunately, critters (I believe raccoons that my neighbor is currently FEEDING, of all things) have been decimating plant after plant. We have already replaced something like ten plants and I still have some more naked spots of which I was unaware. :( I should have checked them personally this morning.

So, instead of being the conclusive list for the season, I present to you what we are growing right this minute: 

Outside Left Bales 
1) White Wonder, Jasper, Tatume Squash 
2) Mint Julep, Dr. Carolyn, Weaver's Black Brandywine 
3) Queen of the Night, Pink Brandywine, Sun Gold 
4) Amethyst, Golden Fang, Royal Golden Watermelon, My's Mystery (so named any time we've lost a label or it has faded in the sun) 

Inside Left Bales 
1) Wapsipinicon Peach, Royal Golden Melon, Jasper 
2)Fuzzy Blue Balls, Wild Boar Pork Chop, My's Mystery 
3) Sun Peach, Moonbeam, Chocolate Cherry 
4)Sun Dipper, Pink Girl, White Beauty 
5)My's Mystery, Pink Siberian Tiger, *empty*

Inside Right Bales
1) Lemon Squash, Phil's Two, Yellow Brandywine
2) Goat's Bag, Golden Fang, Banana Leg
3) Beefmaster, Beefsteak *or* Mark Twain (lol), Striped German 
4) Dino Eggs (entire bale)
5) Brandywine Pink, Hillbilly Potato Leaf, Brandywine Cherry

Outside Right Bales
1) Freckled Child, Dino Egg, Watermelon
2) Alice's Dream, Dirty Little Chicken, Chocolate Cherry

If you're counting, that is thirty-six distinct varieties of tomatoes. That is down by fourteen from our record-breaking year of fifty varieties last year, but it *is* past the thirty mark I kept trying to hit since 2017. I had fallen short of that by two or three for several years in a row, so I'm chuffed to have hit thirty for the second time. 

That is if the little rat-coons don't keep decimating my plants one by one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts Here